Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 10g Install on Windows - password file
Oracle 10g Install on Windows - password file [message #235038] Thu, 03 May 2007 17:03 Go to next message
shaseeb
Hi,

I wanted to know when you run the oradim it creates a password file for you, right? Because when I looked in the
C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\database directory I found the password file (PWDsid.ora) there. So why do some people say that you should create another password file after that using the orapwd utility?

The command that I ran was as follows:

C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\BIN>oradim -new -sid fprccat -intpwd <password> -maxusers 300 -STARTMODE MANUAL -PFILE C:\oracle\admin\fprccat\pfile\initFPRCCAT.ora

Re: Oracle 10g Install on Windows - password file [message #235039 is a reply to message #235038] Thu, 03 May 2007 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>when you run the oradim it creates a password file for you, right?
No.
Look it up on your doc.
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/win.102/b14304/create.htm#i1006533

oradim is used to create a service in windows environment. It will
use an existing passwordfile.

>>why do some people say that you should create another password file after that using the orapwd utility?
I do not understand your question.
orapwd creates a new passwordfile.
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/dba.htm#sthref166
Re: Oracle 10g Install on Windows - password file [message #235041 is a reply to message #235039] Thu, 03 May 2007 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shaseeb
Yes I know it creates a service for you. But specifically, what does the -INTPWD parameter do in the oradim command?

>>oradim is used to create a service in windows environment. It will
use an existing passwordfile.

What if it is a fresh install with a new database? Meaning, there is not existing password file.

Thanks
Re: Oracle 10g Install on Windows - password file [message #235043 is a reply to message #235041] Thu, 03 May 2007 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shaseeb
Please let me know if these instructions make any sense. I am following notes from a Sr. DBA.
================

Create instance (Windows service) and password file

On Windows, you must create the appropriate service before you build the database. This is done by the oradim command. It is also important in Windows to create the password file, using ORACLE_HOME\bin\orapwd. Sometimes you can get away with not doing this in Unix and Linux, although the password file will be generated “behind the scenes.”

Run oradim to create Windows service OracleServicerctest:

D:\>D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin\oradim -new -sid rctest -intpwd <oracle_password> -maxusers 300 -STARTMODE MANUAL -PFILE D:\oracle\admin\rctest\pfile\initrctest.ora

Instance created.

NOTE: The service created is left in manual start mode until the database is created, and any needed user data is imported. This is for convenience.

Create oracle connect users password file: D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\database\PWDrctest.ora

D:\> D****** entries=20 force=y

D:\>dir D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\database\*.ora

08/09/2006 01:11 PM 3,584 PWDrctest.ORA
1 File(s) 3,584 bytes
0 Dir(s) 59,970,793,472 bytes free

NOTE: This creates a password file, PWDrctest.ORA, in ORACLE_HOME\database, with 300 maximum users, all with the password specified (“<oracle_password>”). You may not want all your users to have the same password. You can override this setting from the command line for each individual user after database creation, or specifically in CreateUsers_rctest.sql.
Re: Oracle 10g Install on Windows - password file [message #235044 is a reply to message #235041] Thu, 03 May 2007 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
You are mixing up versions.
I do not see an INTPWD option in 10g (10g Release 2 (10.2) I just looking up docsets. I do not run oracle on windows and cannot test it).

In 9i, you do have such an option and as per doc (again)
-INTPWD password is the password for the new instance. This is the password for the user logged in with SYSDBA privileges. Option -INTPWD is not required. If you do not specify it, then operating system authentication is used, and no password is required.

>>What if it is a fresh install with a new database? Meaning, there is not existing password file.
Already answered it.
First lookup why you need a passwordfile. If you intent to use one, create one!.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 May 2007 17:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle 10g Install on Windows - password file [message #235045 is a reply to message #235043] Thu, 03 May 2007 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Did you miss this? The Author notes to create password file with ORAPWD
Quote:
This is done by the oradim command. It is also important in Windows to create the password file, using ORACLE_HOME\bin\orapwd

And
>> D:\> D****** entries=20 force=y
Seems this truncated/masked line/code is the one to create a passwordfile. The paramaters used (entries and force) are valid ORAPWD paramters.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 May 2007 17:56]

Re: Oracle 10g Install on Windows - password file [message #235046 is a reply to message #235045] Thu, 03 May 2007 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shaseeb
Yes, I saw that. I guess my question is how was a password file created when I never created it from the orapwd utility? I only gave the Oradim command with the intpwd. And there was never any previous password files there before.

Where did that password file come from? And who created it? Cauz it wasn't me Smile

**NOTE: I think you know who I am Smile I'm doing a fresh install and re-creating a new database (catalog) on Windows and then target on Linux.
Re: Oracle 10g Install on Windows - password file [message #235047 is a reply to message #235046] Thu, 03 May 2007 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Did you use DBCA to create the database? It will create a passwordfile for you ( and delete it , you use the delete option).
Re: Oracle 10g Install on Windows - password file [message #235049 is a reply to message #235047] Thu, 03 May 2007 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shaseeb
No I did not use DBCA. Our Sr. DBA doesn't like to use it as he bleives it creates a lot of unnecessary schemas and other things. He always customizes his db creation scripts, so that is what I am doing. All I have to do is change the database name and some directory paths and the rest is the same as his scripts. So it is easier for me.
Re: Oracle 10g Install on Windows - password file [message #235050 is a reply to message #235049] Thu, 03 May 2007 18:27 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>he bleives it creates a lot of unnecessary schemas and other things
Not entirely true. You can always disable all the scripts and optional schemas and create just a bare-bone database. Based on the notes that was already posted, seems your script is creating the passwordfile.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 May 2007 18:28]

Previous Topic: Insert into MS Access using Oracle Heterogeneous Services inserts null into memo fields
Next Topic: Import Specific Tables with Batch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 23:39:21 CDT 2024