Home » Open Source » NoSQL » Oracle top engineers leave the sinking ship - Roger Bamford joins MongoDB (Oracle RDBMS vs. NoSQL MongoDB)
Oracle top engineers leave the sinking ship - Roger Bamford joins MongoDB [message #620800] Wed, 06 August 2014 04:23 Go to next message
rc3d
Hi

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/30/bamford_joins_mongodb/

Quote:

Roger Bamford, a pioneering database engineer who spent 30 years at SQL stalwart Oracle, has jumped over to the NoSQL side and landed in a new job at MongoDB.

he says about the future

Quote:

"There is a brand new generation of databases being built and deployed to address today's data challenges," Bamford said in a canned quote. "I've witnessed the explosive adoption of MongoDB over the past few years and I'm excited to be part of the team that is revolutionizing how organizations build, manage and run applications."

[Updated on: Wed, 06 August 2014 04:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle top engineers leave the sinking ship - Roger Bamford joins MongoDB [message #620802 is a reply to message #620800] Wed, 06 August 2014 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Why is it posted in General forum, I was expecting some technical stuff

Anyway, an anology, if you think the ship is sinking, why are YOU still sailing on it?
Re: Oracle top engineers leave the sinking ship - Roger Bamford joins MongoDB [message #621087 is a reply to message #620802] Fri, 08 August 2014 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Oh, by the way, if you have seen Larry's recent social interaction video, he aims to takeover IBM. Ok, that is his over expectation. Might be that he is still trying to show the EUROPIAN region that Oracle is better than SAP in whatever terms. But, when you talk about other RDBMS products better than Oracle, I feel like I am Larry myself Smile

If you remember the market turmoil during 2008 global financial crisis, Oracle was one among other organizations which not only kept the hiring process with same pace, but amazingly did not lay off its employees significantly. The core reason is the market capitalization, capture and sales. And one virtue "One stop solution for clients with complete range of products".

Does the above satisfied your surmises?
Re: Oracle top engineers leave the sinking ship - Roger Bamford joins MongoDB [message #621103 is a reply to message #621087] Fri, 08 August 2014 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
@Lalit:
Quote:

But, when you talk about other RDBMS products better than Oracle

What is/are better? Really, so difficult to compare.

I work together on Oracle and DB2 RDBMS for a longtime, depend to many thing when make compared them. In the closed system using IBM, I like DB2. In the other wise, I like Oracle.

But, many, many small system (including Database, Application, Network, ...etc) does not require large concurrency transaction, the Open Source is very, very good.

Open my mind, there are not best RDBMS for any situation, but the human are.
Re: Oracle top engineers leave the sinking ship - Roger Bamford joins MongoDB [message #621106 is a reply to message #621103] Fri, 08 August 2014 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
@trantuananh24hg,

Quote:
What is/are better? Really, so difficult to compare.

OP is comparing, I am not. You misinterpreted the sentence, lost the continuity and quoted a part of a complete sentence. When I said "whatever terms", I meant the product sales in a region, and comparision is not so difficult with the sales figures are statistics. So not comparing the product over technology, but sales. What do you think OP means by saying " sinking ship"? Is it the technology? No, it's the sales, and that's the perspective when I replied to OP.

For example, if I take a part of your statement :

Quote:
the Open Source is very, very good.

What is good/bad? Really, so difficult to compare Razz
Re: Oracle top engineers leave the sinking ship - Roger Bamford joins MongoDB [message #621107 is a reply to message #621106] Fri, 08 August 2014 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
@Lalit: Laughing
Re: Oracle top engineers leave the sinking ship - Roger Bamford joins MongoDB [message #643046 is a reply to message #621107] Sat, 26 September 2015 15:25 Go to previous message
rc3d
https://www.mongodb.com/press/roger-bamford-joins-mongodb-inc-distinguished-architect

Quote:

PALO ALTO, Calif., and NEW YORK--July 30, 2014--MongoDB today announced the appointment of Roger Bamford as Distinguished Architect. In his new role, Bamford will be part of the senior engineering team leading the development of MongoDB.

Bamford was one of the earliest members of Oracle's Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) team and is known industry-wide for his work architecting Oracle Version 6 and subsequent versions. He is often referred to as the Founding Father for Oracle's Real Application Clusters (RAC) product, which brought scale and high availability for users.

"There is a brand new generation of databases being built and deployed to address today's data challenges," said Bamford. "I've witnessed the explosive adoption of MongoDB over the past few years and I'm excited to be part of the team that is revolutionizing how organizations build, manage and run applications."

During Bamford's 30 years at Oracle, he served as Principal Architect and led the flagship relational database product. He is responsible for many key RDBMS innovations and currently has more than 40 patents.

"Roger has demonstrated the passion and technical know-how to build exceptional products," said Eliot Horowitz, co-founder and CTO at MongoDB Inc. "Recruiting the most talented engineers to MongoDB is mission critical for continuing to enhance the database. We're thrilled to welcome Roger to our team."
Previous Topic: NoSQL vs. Oracle
Next Topic: Beginer to Big Data & Hadoop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:31:18 CDT 2024